Sunday 26 October 2008

Watchin Soul Train On A Friday Night.....

"...all the young ladies lookin' outtasight.Close my eyes and I started to dream, About another world that I haven't seen..."

I'm Through With White Girls-The Dirtbombs



Look at Al Green here. Albert Greene. Just about cresting the arc of superstar here on Soul Train in 1974. 30 years old, his whole life is on fire. Look at his face, listen to that voice, he hasn't slept the night before, handing out roses to sweet things at the front.
Look at the drummer smacking those half boiled-egg drums behind there: Al Jackson, he'd be dead within a year. His tombstone read "For i have promises to keep, and miles to go before i sleep."

A couple of months after this show one of Al's girlfriends brought him the wrath of the Lord, throwing boiling hot grits over him, then shooting herself with his pistol.

Rev. Al Green has been preaching at the Full Gospel Tabernacle Church on Hale Road in Memphis every Sunday since.
“God had called me to a higher place, turned me away from earthly to heavenly love, and while it hurt to say it, I had to leave the sensual for the spiritual.”

Well fair enough, but he looks as high as can be here....and check out Soul Train host Don Cornelius at the end, dude...




1 comment:

ib said...

Good stuff. Class act. Thanks, too, for the link; you have an interesting blog.