Friday 3 July 2009

I Will Always Ask You Where You've Been...

1993 was the year on the header of the Melody Makers i used to read in the local public library when everything changed. I was 15 year's old with nowhere to go but this grotty little unit shop on the steep incline of Hall St. called 'Astonishing Sounds'.

15. The best of times, the worst of times. I remember conversations with friends would be based around nothing but the scripts of Tarantino & Scorsese movies. We never said anything heartfelt or serious, those things were laughable, at least outside of song. Violence & death were the worlds funniest gags. Love was somebody elses mystery.


The mile and a half bus trip into town & back from my high school wasn't easy to make in an hours lunchbreak, but i remember doing it for Verves early singles, 'Cherub Rock' by Smashing Pumpkins, 'Gentleman' by The Afghan Whigs, 'Free Range' by The Fall, and 'I Hang Suspended' by the later much maligned Boo Radleys. The B-Side was the one i played most, 'I Will Always Ask You Where You've Been Even Though I Know The Answer', an LP's worth in 3 minutes.
Where have i been?
Still there.

No comments: